Sunday, January 08, 2006

Finally made it


Hey it's me, Mertonfan75....I finally got around to reading the first days worth and I am already behind...arghhhhh...but "it's all good" right?

Alrighty then...



Thanks for the list of questions, it has helped get me started...Lorna were these from you? Well, uh thanks..sheesh what did I get myself into? I won't panic...Promise.

1.Did you manage to read the "12 pages"?
Well, I was hanging out in my favorite cafe today and yeah I managed to read the 12 pages.

2.How did you achieve it?
With a large hazelnut latte (with whip cream).

Was it in one sitting or more?
Yeah pretty much.

Where do you read?
Kopi cafe, Clark Sreet, Chicago Illinois...or in my prayer space in my back room.

Do you make any notes?
Yeah, in a journal.

Underline?
Sometimes, but would rather record in a journal.

How did you deal with distractions or interruptions?
I tune things out well, learned this studying in college (loud library).

I am kinda tired of these questions...

I am especially excited about getting into the New Testament. There is much battle in the Old Testament and once there is hope (Our Prince of Peace and Lord Jesus Christ) is born, there are so many lessons to be learned. I have read the New Testament and am not a fan of the Old, so this will be a challenge for me! ;)

3. How long does it take to read the passages?
About an hour.

4. What are your thoughts so far?
Well, like I said I love the New Testament. I have a hard time with believing a lot of Genesis.

Someone said:

"I've read Genesis a few times before and some of the same questions come up for me over and over. I always get stuck worrying about whether or not the events in Genesis are literal accounts or if they are figurative, or a mixture of both. For example: if Adam and Eve were the first people and there were only the two of them, when the Lord banished Cain from the land why was Cain worried that he might be killed by whoever finds him? (Gen. 4-:14) There should have been no one else on earth yet. Did Adam, perhaps represent mankind, and Eve represent all women? Did God create lots of men and women at the same time? Did the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life represent something within man and woman themselves? The trees were in the middle of the garden. Does the garden represent our souls?"

I can totally understand these questions and would ask them as well. However, I tend to read the bible and apply it to my own life. Like what is the lesson learned there. For example Adam representing men and Eve representing women. And... the knowledge of good and evil. There is good and evil represented in every story. So like I take these stories and apply them to what is going on personally in my life and journal on them. Like for example, What within me would constitute good and evil?

I dunno...whatever...that's all I have to say, my brain is fried and I am going out.

"It's all good".

2 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 2:45 AM, Blogger eija said...

You sound like my kind of person: "large hazelnut latte" - yummy...

I used to not-really-like the OT too, but along the years I've grown to really love it. Especially the psalms and the book of Isaiah. Now I can't wait 'til I get to read the judges and the kings, too. A lot of fascinating stuff in there!

Isaiah can be a little intimidating at places, but it really is a very beautiful and encouraging book.

I'll pray that God will show you how wonderful the Old Testament - Jesus' Bible, as someone said - really is.

You just hang in there, girl! *grin*

 
At 1/09/2006 7:51 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Yea, I used to think the OT was dry. But over the years my oppinion changed. Now I'm a guy, so I dig the battles and people getting their heads impaled by tent pegs etc.
I also did my graduate work in Intercultural Studies, so I tend to read the OT with the eyes of an anthropologist. The difficulty for me here is reading through it so fast I can't do a proper "study."
In the OT, I see stories of love and hate, war and peace, passion and intrigue etc. Cool stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home