Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bogged down by details

I`m still reading, have got to 2 Samuel, but I`m getting tired of reading of the numbers of men going into numerous battles, and must confess I am tending to skip over those detailed bits.
It makes me wonder a few things -
Did they really count those thousands and hundreds of men who went every time there was a battle?
What did they do with all the people who were killed? – were they buried or just left lying afterwards for ever where they fell?
What about the women and children of all those who went off to fight – what did they think about it?
What did they do while the men were fighting?
What about the hundreds who`s husbands, fathers, sons were killed in battles, how did they survive?
It came to me that there is practically no reference to women at all. But there must have been women and girls and children too.

2 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 3:05 PM, Blogger Rachel's Big Dunk said...

Hi Rose,

What great questions! I have made an agreement with myself that after I have finished the reading, I will go back and start investigating those very kinds of things!

Great questions.

Love+
Rachel

 
At 2/01/2006 3:27 PM, Blogger see-through faith said...

well I think they were community so they looked after women and children, and at least later on it was tradition for a brother to marry his widowed sister in law to keep the family name and inheritance.

The sheer numbers are awful I agree, it's actually a mirable that they survived.

I think war was a masculine thing (maybe still is -mostly) and the women kept camp, cooked food (chatted and prayed) when the wounded came home they looked after them, and they comforted those whose husbands came home.

Since the king at least (and I presume others) had many wives, perhpas the loss was not as devastating as it would be today.

Jewish law protected widows and orphans and paul made sure that that value was taught to the early church too.

Great questions

 

Post a Comment

<< Home