Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Many Writers?

Well, I`ve started on Luke and read the first chapter this morning. I`m reading the Revised English Bible.

Reading from verse one to four "...many writers have undertaken to draw up an account of the events that have taken place among us.....So I in my turn as one who has investigated the whole course of these events in every detail have decided to write an orderly narrative for you ....so as to give you an authentic knowledge......."

That set me thinking and wondering - it sounds as if they had been lots of versions of the events written - and if so - why have only the four gospels we have in the bible today been kept and recorded? what happened to all the other versions of events? What did the others contain - were they accurate or inaccurate? who wrote the others?

1 Comments:

At 4/19/2006 4:52 PM, Anonymous Lorna said...

that's a good thought. I wonder if it's that they found it too hard and gave up? or simply that the manuscripts were lost or damaged.

Certainly in the early church they decided what would go into the bible and what wouldn't - they had stringent requirements, liek ti being an eye witness (or eg. Mark close to an eyewitness in his case Peter)

But I've never thought of that before. Interesting :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home