Thursday, January 12, 2006

Reformation Meets Reality

I seem to be the odd woman out over on the Bible-blog. Rousing a little rabble. Talking about things no one wants to talk about. Reading Genesis with a critical eye.

This is one of those situations in which I think the Reformation ideal of putting a Bible into everyone's hands runs smack up against the reality that, without giving people an informed context in which to read and understand it, you wind up not only with confused people but with people who can be persuaded to use the Bible to justify sexism, homophobia, bad science and a lot of other stuff. It's the theological equivalent of handing your five-year-old a loaded revolver for show-and-tell class.

Sigh. I'll probably have to turn in my Lutheran union card now.

3 Comments:

At 1/12/2006 9:01 AM, Blogger Beth Quick said...

Dont' worry, I'm with you at heart. Just no energy to blog about it. My personal notes on it are filled with: "where are the women?" and related comments ;) Don't turn you card in just yet...

 
At 1/12/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Oh my, in the past I always wanted to hear what you had to say, and I still do. I'm just behind in reading, and my life is chaotic in general right now. But I am reading, even though not commenting much yet, and pondering what is said.

 
At 1/12/2006 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. As noted, most of my comments on Genesis were under the heading of "YUCK!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home