Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Although I liked my detour into the Apocrypha I must say I'm really really happy to be back in my familiar NIV (The Bible MaryBeth gave me with the Apocrypha in it is the New American Bible (RC version) and I'm not sure if that's the reason but many of the Historical names are different which caused some confusion for me.

Anyway I'm back in the NIV, and almost - but not quite- back on track for the 90 day reading plan.

I was on chat to eija and said I was going to bed early to read - and I did. I read about half of Job and this morning lay in bed while everyone else in our family were bustling around and read the second half.

It's an amazing book, and I especially liked reading it fast as it's one long story.

I could relate to Job's anguish and dispair, and his anger too. I smarted at the easy answers from his religious friends. At the end all of Job's friends and Job himself are silenced - not in an awful way but by the wonder of God.

As they bow down to God's supremacy, all is restored. It's wonderful.

No the human in me (the woman) rebels a bit because I don't think giving me a new husband or other kids would replace the first. ever. but to dwell on that is to miss the whole point.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away - but still we bless Him, praise Him and bow down before Him in worship.

I've been reading a book called brokenness by Lon Solomon. If you don't understand suffering, or if you, like Job, think it's all too much - then this book is for you. It's an amazing little book. Easy to read and yet so deep. Full of truth and light, and it brought life to me.

So if you haven't got enough to read with the Bible readings just now, so out and buy or borrow that book. You'll be glad you did.

Lorna xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home