Tuesday, April 25, 2006

discredit me

Luke 6:22-23

Count yourself blessed everytime someone cuts you down or throws you out, everytime someone smears or blackens your name to discredit me. What it means that the truth is too close to comfort, and that that person is uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens - skip like a lamb if you like! - for even though they dodn't like it, I do ... and all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company my preachers and my witnesses have always been treated like this.

It's easy to proof text this, and I hope I'm not doing that now.

But what struck me today from reading the Message account was this - we are blessed if our name is blackened - if we undergo a character assassination with the motive of discrediting God. The fact that we are discredited ourselves is NOT the focus of this passage (though maybe I hadn't noticed that before)

TNIV reads
Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you or insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man (Luke 6:22)

The message goes onto give a very important teaching (especially if you are perfomance oriented like I am)

There's trouble ahead when you only live for the approval of others ... and then the real clincher ... No more tit for tat stuff. Live generously

and finally onto Luke 7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home