Thursday, April 20, 2006

I'm with you

I'm heading out of town for a badly needed break, but I wanted to let y'all know that I am reading. I'll try to be more articulate when I return. There is SO MUCH to think about in those first two chapters of Luke! I always wonder about the young Mary, and the older Elizabeth. Their meeting, Elizabeth's prophecy and Mary's lovely praise always move me. Then Mary stayed with her relative for three months. What do you suppose they spoke of? What do you suppose they prayed in their time together? It must have given Mary strength to go home and face the comments and stares and criticism.

Back in a few days, and I'll be reading with you all.

2 Comments:

At 4/21/2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it could be. I think it would make sense from a human point of view - Mary could help Elizabeth in what was almost certainly,given her age, a difficult birth.

I can just imagine those two cousins together can't you? Both to bear a son - according to the promise of God. I can imagine their sabbath celebrations too :)

 
At 4/28/2006 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The section in Luke where Mary goes to visit Elizabeth is our focus for the year at my church. The pastor is pulling out the implications of all of us being Mary's to others and being Elizabethed by others, a sort of wholistic caring. It's quite a powerful image - applying to men as well, of course.
PS I only just realised that the blog is still going - so pleased it is - will work to catch up with the rest of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home