Monday, May 01, 2006

readings this week



Sun 30 Luke 13
MAY
Mon 1 Luke14
Tues 2 Luke 15
Weds 3 Luke 16
Th 4 Luke 17
Fri 5 Luke 18
Sat 6 Luke 19
Sun 7 Luke 20

I'm hopelessly behind myself.

Some thoughts on Luke 7 though.

Jesus was willing to go into the home of the Roman solider. Again evidence that He didn't just minister to the Jews. I don't think I'd noticed that before. The Message put it like this

A Roman captain there had a servant who was on his deathbed. He prized him highly and didn't want to lose him. When he heard Jesus was back (had he been waiting I wonder?) he sent leaders from the Jewish community asking him to come and heal his servant. They came to Jesus, and urged him to do it, saying "He deserves this. He loves our people. He even built our meeting place" (Luke 7:1-5)


Was this Roman soldier what we see in Cornelius (in Acts 10) I wonder. A God-fearing man. One of the first to become believers - free from the need to be circumsized etc. I don't know but I find it interesting :)

Until now I've always focused on the faith of the man - and not who he is or was.

What's more I don't think I've ever noticed that Jesus healed the boy in Luke 7:11-15. I've certainly never preached on it - or heard it preached. Imagine the scene though - a funeral procession, that Jesus just happened to come across. He sees the widow's greif and raised him from the dead.

What I love most is the reaction to this miracle though.

They all realised they were in a place of holy mystery, that God was at work among them. They were quietly worshipful - and then noisily grateful, calling out among themselves "God is back! Looking to the needs of his people" The news of Jesus spread all through the country.


There's no record of a feast following this, but I'm fairly sure there was one. Was Jesus part of it? Maybe. I like to think He was, don't you?

As I said I'm far behind the reading scheme. And I'm hereby giving myself permission to plod along. I'm enjoying Luke - it really is as if I've never read it before.

I'm onto chapter 8 now :) Be blessed wherever you are

1 Comments:

At 5/02/2006 1:21 AM, Blogger see-through faith said...

Now on Luke 11 and the Lord's prayer in the message is very startling

 

Post a Comment

<< Home