Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Well, here I am!

The name's Veronica, and I blog over at Mere Complexities. I came across this nifty project from Sister Steph's blog, and it seemed like a fantastic idea. I am in my fourth year of an honours specialization in philosophy, with a second major in biology.

For most of my life, I have been anything but a Christian (actually, I grew up a Pagan), but I converted to Catholicism in my second year of university. I don't really have an especially strong background with Sacred Scripture, although I did read the Bible in the year before becoming Catholic.

At the moment, I am trying to discern whether I am called to be a nun someday. Between my volunteer work and my degree, however, I have a tendency to neglect my spiritual life more than I should. I'm excited about this opportunity; I think the accountability will help keep me on track.

So, the questions:

1. Did you manage to read the "12 pages"?

Yes, and then some.

2. How did you achieve it? Was it in one sitting or more?

Just one sitting, so far. Things are a little slow right now, so I have a great deal of free time. However, I imagine I will need better time management as the semester progresses.

3. Where do you read? Do you make any notes? Underline?

I read curled up in my big and comfy chair by the window. I very rarely take notes, although I do sometimes highlight especially striking passages.

4. How did you deal with distractions or interruptions?

I like to do my reading first thing in the morning, and I typically get up very early. Things are very quiet then, and there aren't many distractions. I'm very good at tuning the rest of the world out in general, though.

5. How long does it take to read the passages?

About an hour.

6. What are your thoughts so far?

I think this is going to be good.

The creation account in Genesis has always been particularly striking to me. When I took my first year philosophy course, my professor outlined the parallels between the popular scientific account of how the world came to be, and the Biblical account of things. Of course, I wouldn't dream of using the Bible as a science text book, but I am enraptured by the reminder that there is more to life than meets the eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home