Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Luke

So much of Luke seemed unfamiliar. It's really strange. Of course the events, miracles and parables that are in Matthew or Mark (having just read them) were familiar but still - reading Luke was somehow really new to me.

I think it's probably because I've studied Mark in seminary, and because I love Matthew, I'm more familar with his account of the Gospel, but Luke ... ? Luke 15 is my favourite passage. It's brought me such a lot. But when reading Luke this time I was shown many other things too - it was as if God took a highlighter pen with me :)

For example Luke not only gives the beatitudes - the blessed are you, but he spells out the consequences of not being (or aware of being) poor, hungry and sad.

(Luke 6:25.woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry)


And there's one short statement that intrigues me.

And he tried to see Him


...he being Herod! He wanted to see Jesus! (Luke 9:9) Yet later on Jesus calls Herod 'that fox' (Luke 13:32) because the pharisees told Jesus that Herod wanted to kill him.

Later on (Luke 23:8-9) we read that When Herod saw Jesus he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle. He plied him with many questions but jesus gave him no answer. a few verses on (v 12) it states that 'that day Herod and Pilate became friends, before this they had been enemies'. Interesting!

I don't quite understand the parable of the shrewd manager. (Luke 16:1-15) I need to re-read that and maybe some commentaries too.

I'd forgotten (or never noticed before!) that the leper who came back to thank Jesus for his healing was a Samaritan (Luke 17:16)

I love the end of Luke though. The accounts of the Resurrection. We get a glimpse of what it was like on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. A sabbath - spent in obedience and waiting to visit the tomb to prepare Jesus' body.

And the walk to Emmaus. They recognised Him when He broke bread with them.

Wow!
Now onto John. (I cannot open bible in 90 days - so am not sure where we should be - but this is where I am now, and loving it)

be blessed

1 Comments:

At 3/22/2006 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me Luke has always been kind of boring - "It was the boring doctor who wrote it". So maybe I've been kind of avoiding it? So me too it seems like brand new reading, as if I never read it before (but I know I did).

But now, I think it's my favourite and I must go back to it soon. It's even better writing than John *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home