Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Dozen Days Down

A dozen days down. Hanging in there. Almost got behind this weekend, but I caught up.

Some of these passages make me crazy. Not because I believe they represent how God is, but because they represent how God was seen. Being pleased with the utter destruction of men, women (unless, virgins, they could be given to men as 'booty'), and children. People burned and swallowed up by the earth. Plagues killing thousands. Moses not getting to see the Promised Land because - because he asked for God's help when the people complained yet again?? No one except Caleb and Joshua make it through all of these hoops alive to see the land promised. I find it hard not to wonder why we think these words are so important. As a history, sure. But as a way to understand God? I'm not feeling it, not today at least.

On the other hand, there was a talking donkey today. That's got to count for something!

3 Comments:

At 1/18/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger see-through faith said...

"Moses not getting to see the Promised Land because - because he asked for God's help when the people complained yet again??"

My understanding of that part at least was that he was punished because he acted in presumption not because he asked God for help.

I think the point of Exodus, Levitus and numbers is to prepare the Israelites as a people - separated for God - dependent on Him.

The blood, the killing, the different values are hard to stomach - but it struck me that much of what we think is civilised in the western world is our adherance to the 10C - do not kill, covet, have other idols.

all in all it's interesting. I step into the 5 book of Moses today (Deut) and am looking forward to it.

 
At 1/18/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1/18/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I left a few comments on my blog. It sure is different going quickly than it is when studying in some sort of depth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home