Saturday, January 07, 2006

Timidly sneaking in...

Wow... This is great. And so terrifying! I mean publicly committing into something like this. And to blog about how my Bible reading goes? In my own blog I can do it if I "feel" like it, but here, with all other people committed to the same project - sc-a-r-y! I mean, what do I even have to say? Well, God has repeatedly promised me that if only I open my mouth, He will give me words to speak. Maybe it applies to blogging, too?

Anyway, I'm no reverend, pastor, priest, evangelist - or anything to that direction. The bread on my table comes from computer work and in my local church I help out by playing my flute in services and maintaining the church website. I grew up in the middle of Finnish Lutheran culture: My grandfather and his two brothers were cantor-organists, but I don't think any of my family members is really a live Christian. As a little child I kept wondering why other kids went to Sunday school, but nobody took me there.

About 20 years ago I committed my life to Christ, and it's been a long and bumpy road ever since. The group I joined was a small non-denominational clique, and I think mostly bad news to anyone getting involved in it. Finally I got rid of the pressure of that group by moving out of the town. God lead me into the Finnish Evangelical Free Church and seriously started healing my wounds. It's been my home ever since, and I've never doubted for a second that I might be in a wrong company.

So, I live in Finland, always have and probably always will. My mother tongue is Finnish, but for some weird reasons I've ended up blogging in English. I have two blogs. My main blog "the invisible" isn't in Blogger, but my photoblog Scenes from God's World is. If you're interested, my blog entry about starting this Bible reading project is here.

I'm going to use the Finnish version 1933/1938. There's also a newer one, from 1992, but I have serious doubts about it. A small whispering idea in my mind is, that if I get this done, I might get myself the Message and read that the next - just to find some new perspective to the stories. When blogging, I usually use the web-version of NIV.

I started the project yesterday, on Jan 6th. I don't think it's bad if we aren't totally synchronized with each other in that, because I'm sure that everyone is bound to have days of not reading. Just remember mentioning in your posts, which passages you're talking about :)

Ok, this is long enough I think (long ago!) so I'll shut up for now. God bless you all with this project!

-e-

2 Comments:

At 1/07/2006 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to meet you, Eija! Lorna pointed me to your gingerbreads as an example (she sent me Finnish gingerbread cutters for mine this year!)

And mine came out pretty well, you can see them at http://marybethbutler.typepad.com/terrapin_station/2005/12/gingerbreads_an.html

Looking forward to reading along with you!

 
At 1/09/2006 5:35 AM, Blogger eija said...

Mary Beth thanks :) I went to see your gingerbreads and yeah, they looked edible *grin*

We still have some - but not many - left from ours...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home