Sunday, January 08, 2006

What is Good?

Okay, I said I'd post a pic when I could. So, here's one. It was taken in November of 04 during a mission trip to Zambia. The child in my arms was named Victor. She was orphaned due to the AIDS pandemic in Africa. Little Victor died this past summer of complications due to AIDS.

This actually highlights what’s leapt out at me from the first reading. It’s not really a new thing for me. It something I can’t shake and has become an important part of my teaching and ministry.

In Genesis chapter 1, each time God creates something he declares it to be good. When He finishes the earth, he declares it to be exceedingly good. Even so, it’s not good enough for man, His prized creation. He feels the need to place man in an even “more perfect” location – a garden of supernatural loveliness. God then declares something to be “not good.” The loneliness of man. He parades all the animals of the earth before man. Man is unable to find a suitable companion so God makes him one. The man’s response? “Whoa-Man!” God noticed a need in man’s life and provided for it. He noticed something was not good and proved what was good.

Fast forward a bit. The woman’s encounter with the serpent. Gen 3:6 (NIV)
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.
Up until this time it was God who determined what was good and what was not. It was God that provided what was good and everything was cool. Suddenly humans decided for themselves what was good…promptly screwed everything up.

The same holds true in our lives today. How often do we choose for ourselves what is good, only to end in a world of hurt?

2 Comments:

At 1/08/2006 7:53 AM, Blogger eija said...

Jason I visited your blog. It said in your profile:

"Me? Oh, I'm no one special. I'm just this guy..."

I just had to tell you that it's not true! Today when I opened this site and the first thing I saw was you holding that sweet little baby, my heart just jumped. There was something so... loving! in that photo. I'm tempted to say even holy.

The little I know about you, I can honestly say you truly are special. Not just "this guy" but God's weapon, shooting out His love.

So maybe you'll edit that profile text of yours - to be more truthful? *grin*

 
At 1/08/2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown Preacher said...

There’s actually a story behind that “About Me” phrase. The short explanation is that I wrestle with pride something fierce. As such I employ various methods to keep myself humble before my Lord, Master and King. The full phrase is, "Me? Oh, I'm no one special. I'm just this guy that God, in his infinite grace, has chosen to use. If you see anything praise worthy in me or my actions, it is only because of God’s unfailing love, unending mercy, and unfathomable grace. He disserves all the glory, not me. Please give credit where credit is due.”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home